Friday, November 14, 2014

Today I Am Remembering


George Giles Bennett - born 1855
My great grandfather George Giles Bennett (on my father's side) who served both in the Boer War and the First World War. He served in campaigns all over South Africa. His campaign medal with bars is in my possession.

Boer War service medal



















He then signed up for the First World War but lied about his age. The army sent him to Belgium where he served in the Quartermasters regiment.It took the army about a year and a half to figure out his actual age and he was shipped home.






Allan Mungo Middlemiss
Grandma Luckraft's brother Allan Mungo Middlemiss. He signed up for WWI but did not survive the war.

















Allan's attestation (sign up) papers






















He died two months before the war ended and is buried in a cemetery in Dury, Northern France.
Dury Crucifix Cemetery











Our grandfather Reginald Miller Luckraft. He served in France in an ambulance corps.
















Grandad seated on right
He received shrapnel wounds at the battle of Vimy Ridge. I have his sevice medal



























Grandma Luckraft's sister, Margie,Mom and Uncle Al all served in WWII.

Crew of the HMCS Lunenburg, a corvette
Allan Luckraft was in the navy on Corvettes on convoy duty in the North Atlantic and also served on D-Day in naval support for the invasion (second on the right of gun barrel in photo).











Mom at the barracks



















Mom was also in the navy and was stationed just outside of Montreal where she served in a secretarial corps during the war.

Margaret, Kathy  and Eileen (Mom's mother)



















Aunty Margie served (judging by the uniform) but it's unclear what service she was with.

Today I'm remembering them.

1 comment:

Claire said...

I LOVE that you are doing this. Please don't stop. I can't get enough!!